Saturday, February 01, 2014

More notes about names.

Because the xkcd blag (it's not a blog) posted a link to some analysis of naming trends, I noticed that one of the names I mentioned in a previous post, Maximus, is actually very popular and trendy at the moment. Take note, fellow Orthodox.

Even more surprising is that Aidan (and variants) is extremely trendy at the moment. The constellation of similar names is easily in the top 10 and, if you broaden your definition of similar names, easily becomes the most popular name for boys. Life is good, I suppose, if you always wanted to give your child a very traditional Anglo-Saxon saint's name.

Dominic and other variants are also quite popular right now.

Unfortunately, Hilda, Hildegard, and other similar names are not terribly popular at the moment.

2 comments:

Nemo said...

Well, I did my part for the cause.

Mr. G. Z. T. said...

Yes, I approve!

Also, apparently Matilda is not popular at all in America, but in several other countries, like England, it's in the top 100, and it's one of those nice old -ilda/ilde names as well.