Saturday, November 11, 2006

I think I'm turning unsatisfiable.

So I got my actual test results back from that professional exam, and when they implied I scored between 20% and 30% better than the passing grade, I was annoyed that I did not score higher. This is, however, unreasonable, since, given what the passing grade probably was, the highest attainable score, indicating 40+% better than the passing grade, may have been theoretically unattainable, and the next score, indicating 30-40% better than the passing grade, may have been simply ungodly. Given that only 40% of the people effectively taking the exam passed, I should be quite happy to have gotten such a good score. Before I got the actual score, I was glad to have passed at all. I just took a little listening quiz I saw on Dawn Eden and was annoyed that I "only" got 88.9 until I read the comments from a certain musician who reads this weblog saying that's what he got as well - and even then I was still slightly miffed. Good grief, I don't even really care about music, I think I'm just annoyed that I didn't get above 90% and earn the top designation.

Contrast with relative indifference to performance at work? I'm quite happy when I do well there and pleased to just scrape by - or even fail to scrape by but not get fired. I'm only annoyed when I completely strike out or get rained on.

Something to keep one's eye on, I suppose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, it's a little absurd, isn't it?
gzt

Anonymous said...

You're right! This is the sort of thing up with which I will not put! Unfortunately, the only remedy for caring about random stuff that I know of is beer. I have such a hard life, but it's for the salvation of my soul.
gzt