Sunday, November 19, 2006

goin' home via chicago

I must admit my only claim to sophistication of any sort is that I can make references to Wilco in my diary titles, but, anyways, I'm going back to $HOMETOWN via Chicago by Greyhound for Thanksgiving. The fares were cheaper and I didn't anticipate doing well at work, so I figured I might as well take the early option. Besides, I might be able to check about work or at least networking possibilities at $OTHERNEARBYTOWN with this extra time. Wouldn't hurt. It's not too painful, there's only one stop between Chicago and $HOMETOWN and it'd be at about a time where I'd like a rest. Only a bit slower than a car ride, so why not?

I will get there just in time for a vesperal liturgy for the Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple. Aesthetically, I'm no fan of vesperal liturgies. They seem rather ad hoc and pasted together, but that could just be me being curmudgeonly. I'm also generally more able to go to a 6:30am liturgy than a 6pm vesperal liturgy, though I suppose that availability may vary amongst the workingmen. But it's not like the grace of God is going to depart just because they're not generally convenient for me and don't strike my fancy. I mean, it's not like I'm going to depart for those reasons.

The odd thing is that we never drank milk in my household - can't digest the stuff - but we only discovered soy milk after I became Orthodox and requested it during my stays at home in college. Even so, I still eat my cereal dry.

No comments: