Friday, July 28, 2006

current gig: gardening.

I was squatting in some peonies all morning for grocery money. It was well worth it: it's good to do something physical again. There was free pizza out, and I thought, "well, it's Friday, but the pizza is free and most likely at least vegetarian, knowing my roommates." Apparently it was from the roommate who does eat meat?

So now for the theology: how does one respond when somebody comes to your place and respectfully asks what it means when somebody says the Orthodox Church is The Church and then, upon hearing the reply, asks where all these traditions of men came from? My response was to tell him to slow down and stop trolling, but people don't generally like that response. They think it means I think they're insincere [which is absurd, it means I think they're trolling]. I said something nice about Paul, Ignatius, Irenaeus, and Cyprian of Carthage, as well as something about schism and heresy that should get the point across, but I was wondering: how do you readers respond?

Remember, the secret to good propaganda is "simplify and repeat".

2 comments:

Eric said...

Well, Ignatius sure did it for me...I read his letter to the Ephesians and then got my a$$ into the Church as quick as I could. That is why I bear his name.

Caelius said...

I usually open with, "How do you know what the Bible is?" and then mention that the NT could be reconstructed entirely from the writings of the Fathers.

By the way, I think the troubles in the Levant are causing a resurgence of Marcionism. I've heard references to "the so-called Old Testament."